Friday 1 January 2016

Vegetarianism: Week 1 + Rice and Bean Burrito Recipe

It's been officially one week since I went vegetarian, and so far it's going alright. I have been putting protein powder in my morning smoothies, and I learned that I really don't like vegetarian chinese food.
Below I am putting what is definitely my favourite recipe that I've found. I am a taco girl. I have always been a taco girl and that was the one food I thought I would struggle with losing when  became vegetarian. This recipe is one that I got from my foods teacher, and is honestly a life-saver. I made a few tweaks to make it truly seem like a taco, but I cannot recommend this enough. 
You can make this recipe and throw it in your fridge to be eaten as leftovers, and it is too worth it. I almost like it more than regular tacos.


Recipe
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped
1/2 to 3/4 of a taco seasoning package
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup corn, drained 
3 flour tortillas
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese


Prepare rice according to package instructions.  While rice cooks, prepare all other ingredients.  When close to being finished, begin further instructions.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high until hot.  Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin.  Saute 3-5 minutes until onion is tender.  Add rice, beans and corn; cook, stirring 2-3 minutes until mixture is thoroughly heated.  Remove from heat.  Spoon 1/2 cup rice mixture down the center of each tortilla.  Top each with whatever toppings you like, cheese, green onion, salsa or sour cream.

​Makes 3 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment